27 May 2005

Schapelle Corby

I’m seriously conflicted here and I’m almost never conflicted. On the one hand, I’d bet a month’s pay she’s guilty and at the age of 27, the foolish youth defense won’t wash. I was a consul for almost 20 years looking after our fellow citizens in third world prisons, mostly they were in for drug offenses, and I have to say they were without exception guilty as sin. There were some sentences handed out that were harsh, unjust even, --one guy did seven years essentially because he was a smart-ass. There’s reasonable doubt in Corby’s case and in a western country she would have gotten off--but this is not a western country. What would I do if it were my daughter. Well I’d pay whatever bribes are required to get her the hell out of there and then I’d then I’d thrash her within an inch of her life. Finally, you have to wonder whther Corby would be such a cause if she were an aboriginal teenager, or if she were 55 and ugly.

No comments: